About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public.
Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, renowned programming archive, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Archive – including special African-American, Hispanic, and LGBT collections – and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org.
The Director, Guest Services is an important and valued senior member of the operations and hospitality team and is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Guest Services department to deliver the highest level of service excellence and a stellar guest experience.
- Creates a welcoming, safe, positive, friendly, and meaningful experience for all members and guests and manages the daily operations of the Guest Services department to support all Paley programs, exhibits, PaleyGX, special events, group tours, and library operations.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and sets the tone for a positive guest experience, maintaining a professional manner, presence, and appearance at all times while adhering to Paley policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements documentation and training materials and safety guidelines that ensures staff are fully trained in handling customer issues, answering patron inquiries and problem-solving incidents, alerting the VP of Facility and Special Projects of issues/problems immediately.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises the Guest Services team and volunteers and provides strong, dynamic leadership that mentors, develops, coaches, and guides team members in order to deliver unforgettable guest and member experiences through unmatched service.
- Be knowledgeable about the institution, its programming, events, and memberships in order to effectively communicate information to visitors.
Exhibits, Programming, and Library Support
- Manages the guest experience and operational flow during all Paley live programming, exhibits, special events, PaleyGX, library operations, and group tours to ensure seamless execution
- Oversees all box office operations including the event setup, management, and reporting within the Paley ticketing platform (currently Universe) for all Paley programs, exhibits, and special events.
- Manages all aspects of the Front Desk operations including timed entry and flow of visitors, will call and VIP ticket check-in, seating manifests, customer inquiries, cash management and cash control procedures, attendance reporting, etc.
- Coordinates with Paley management team regarding the oversight and distribution of VIP seating requests for Paley programs and special events.
- Oversees the library and its service desk, greeting and assisting guests, and monitoring entrance access and providing general library services and information to internal and external clients while spotlighting the Paley Archive.
- Supervises the day-to-day management of the gaming and VR experience in the PaleyGX Studio.
- Identifies opportunities to share, in a professional and “soft sell” manner, information on Paley memberships in an effort to have visitors become Paley members.
- Enforces safety and health practices, ensuring compliance with operational standards, ADA, and federal, state, local laws and ordinances.
- Assists in staffing internal areas such as Development and Industry Programs on ad-hoc projects and rentals, as requested.
- Participates in other duties as assigned.
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
- Highly organized with proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to lead cross functional teams.
- Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage simultaneously.
- Outstanding verbal communication and superior business writing skills.
- Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative, and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving and research skills.
- 10+ years of experience managing a team in a service environment, such as guest service experience in a theater, performing arts center, luxury hotel, or other service oriented organization
- Due to the museum’s operating hours, the Director, Guest Services regular work schedule is Tuesday – Saturday
- Ability to work early mornings and late evening, when necessary, to support Paley events and programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively respond to and interact with large crowds, staff and clients
- Extremely comfortable in a fast-paced, live events, service oriented environment
- Strong work ethic with the ability to provide the highest level of service
- Highest level proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Experience working with box office ticketing programs such as Universe, a plus
- Ability to stand, walk, and climb stairs for long periods of time
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
- Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
- Completed COVID vaccination & booster
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.