About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public.
Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, an international collection, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Archive – including special African American, Hispanic, LGBT, Women’s and Music collections – and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org.
The Director, Public Programming is a high-energy, entrepreneurial, results-driven, and highly organized individual, who serves in a key role within this prestigious organization. The position is responsible for planning and executing the public programming strategy and schedule by successfully producing compelling programming that is aligned with institutional priorities and timelines.
Reporting to the VP, Public Programming, the Director will book, produce and project manage programs, exhibits and experiences for the public that celebrate the most noteworthy talent and shows that offer a peek behind the creative process--educating audiences about how series are born, characters are developed and how storylines can have a positive impact. In this role, the Director, Public Programming will confirm programs and talent, exhibits and experiences that deliver a relevant and exciting programming agenda. These programs will raise awareness on the vital role the Paley Center has in presenting impactful and entertaining conversations/experiences and will draw press coverage as well as drive ticket sales, membership, viewership, and visitor traffic to the Paley Center.
Program Development and Procurement
- Collaborate with the Programming and Curatorial teams as well as other departments to develop and book unique and influential talent, programs, educational workshops, membership events, exhibits and experiences including, but not limited to:
- Identify critically acclaimed shows, star-studded events and premieres, the most relevant topics, themes and issues and A-List talent to be panelists and moderators who will draw press as well as audience, and enhance the prestige of a PaleyLive, PaleyImpact, PaleyFestival, Paley Honors, Education workshop/mentorship or membership event.
- Book and confirm programs and talent, exhibits and experiences that deliver a relevant and exciting programming agenda.
- Align programming with institutional priorities in TV (linear, streaming cable, studios) sports/e-sports, gaming/interactive entertainment, news/journalism, advertising/brands, family, social media platforms, music, technology, radio/streaming audio, Spanish language, among others.
- Work with Creative Services to produce immersive and interactive tentpole exhibits as well as partner activations/experiences to ensure that there are engaging offerings year-round.
- Develop book, confirm and execute PaleyGX events (video gaming and interactive entertainment) as well as Family programming and Podcasting events.
- Research and share insights on media trends to inform program development and talent participation.
Program Organizational Oversight
- Maintain day-to-day oversight for all operations and logistics for programs, exhibits, experiences and initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Secure programming lineups six months in advance; deliver bi-annual calendar.
- Create and maintain tracking and booking documents as well as timelines to monitor all ongoing activities. Ensure deadlines are met.
- Obtain all necessary internal approvals to book events and participants.
- Coordinate communication and logistics across internal departments and across external organizations to ensure seamless planning and execution. Work with Technical and Facilities teams to appropriately set up in-person and virtual events.
- Secure talent quotes for press releases, artwork, headshots for promotional materials, talent releases, video and all other collateral material.
- Draft invitations, thank you and executive correspondence and proposals; manage prep calls with talent, partner organizations and other third parties.
- Work with Finance to create budgets and ensure that budgets are met. Additionally, assist in raising specified allotted funds to meet programming budgets.
- Partner with Paley Center’s Communications, Marketing, Creative Services, Social Media to create promotional campaigns that position each public program, exhibit and experience as a must-attend event that will drive membership, increase visitor traffic and generate sold-out audiences.
- Manage RSVPs, track tickets sales and distribution to ensure that all sponsor and partner obligations, as well as revenue goals, are met.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with executives across the industry, as well as managers, publicists, talent and top journalists to secure as moderators.
- Participate in other projects as assigned.
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
- Highly organized with proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage them simultaneously.
- Outstanding verbal communication and superior business writing skills.
- Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving and research skills.
- 8+ years of producing live productions within entertainment, sports, video gaming and other media.
- Experience producing exhibits or other special events.
- Proven track record of securing high-profile talent for programs.
- In-depth knowledge of the media industry, broadly defined, is a plus.
- 4+ years of project and budget management experience, in a supervisory capacity.
- Detail-oriented with superior written, verbal, organizational and time management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills to represent Paley with key contacts; ability to influence decision-makers; proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Current network of industry contacts
- Highly proactive and collaborative. Takes pride and ownership of all responsibilities to ensure success.
- A self-starter who is resourceful, creative and has strong problem-solving skills.
- BA degree is required.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Proof of covid vaccination and booster.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.