The Director of Public Programming & Exhibits coordinates and ensures the successful implementation of Public Programs & Exhibits that will continue to elevate and position The Paley Center for Media. The Director of Public Programming & Exhibits shapes, books, confirms, implements, and facilitates the financial success of exhibits/experiences including, but not limited to, those for A Salute to Black Achievements in Television, A Salute to LGBTQ+ Pride Achievements in Television, and A Salute to Hispanic Achievements in Television, among others, as well as for partner exhibits. The Director of Public Programming & Exhibits will ideate, identify, book, and confirm PaleyImpact programs, Paley GX, Family programming, podcast events, and career readiness workshops as well as PaleyLives, PaleyFrontRows, and Membership events (corresponding Corporate, President’s Circle, Patron, General Members) that are focused on news, sports, music, streaming/audio, gaming, and interactive entertainment and social media, among other platforms.
The Director of Programming & Exhibits will work on strategy as well as the book, produce, and project manages PaleyImpact programs that explore how media influences attitudes, behaviors, and actions, as well as shapes public discourse on critical social and cultural issues. These programs will raise awareness for the vital role the Paley Center has in in presenting these impactful, timely, and relevant conversations. Additionally, the exhibits/experiences and other Paley programs will also draw press coverage for the institution as well as drive ticket sales, membership, viewership, and visitor traffic to the Paley Center
The Director of Public Programming & Exhibits will assist in delivering, but not limited to, a relevant programming agenda for the institution and will constantly monitor the progress of program plans and ensure that timelines, deliverables, and best practices are being adhered to and that programs meet a bi-annual calendar.
- Develop, ideate, project-manage, book, and confirm an exciting, influential, and relevant exhibits and experiences including A Salute to Black Achievements in Television, A Salute to LGBTQ+ Pride Achievements in Television, and A Salute to Hispanic Achievements in Television as well as for partner exhibits.
- Ideate, frame, project-manage, book, and confirm timely PaleyImpact programs with relevant thought leaders and other recognized authorities on specific issue-related subjects.
- Book major shows and A-list talent to participate in PaleyLives and Paley Front Rows and career readiness workshops that are news, sports, gaming, and interactive entertainment, music, audio/streaming, and social media-based among other platforms. Book corresponding Corporate, President Circle, Patron, and General Membership programs and activities.
- Produce, develop, book, and confirm PaleyGX events including hosting influencers, tournaments, and game previews before they hit the market.
- Develop, plan, book, and implement family programming as well as podcasts.
- Secure programming lineups 6 months in advance.
- Draft remarks, correspondence, pitch letters, invitations, proposals, thank you letters, etc.
- Create and maintain booking status documents.
- Facilitate coordination of a program or exhibit through being a point of contact for communication internally within the Paley Center and externally with networks, studios, and talent representatives.
- Coordinate across departments to ensure successful production of our exhibits and programs, which includes all details pre, during, and post-event.
- Serve as a point of contact to the sponsorship and development liaisons for sponsorship as well as for membership events when appropriate.
- Ensure the relevance and prestige of Paley events by remaining informed of media and news events and other milestones that are of social and critical importance.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with executives in the appropriate media sectors as well as managers, publicists, and talent and top journalists to secure as moderators.
- Manage all prep calls for moderators and participants.
- Help to develop appropriate audiences to sell tickets and increase memberships.
- Manage RSVP’s, track tickets sales and distribution for PaleyFest LA, PaleyFest Fall Previews, and PaleyFest NY as well as the PaleyLives and PaleyFrontRows in order to ensure that all sponsor and partner obligations, as well as revenue goals, are met.
- Assist in raising specified allotted funds to meet the programming budget.
- Obtain all necessary internal approvals to book events in order to coordinate schedules and internal calendars (Tech, CS, Development, etc.) and work with the Marketing and Communications/PR departments, particularly on timing of announcements, ticket sales, and publishing dates in order to maximize marketing and promotions.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications/PR departments to create content that will drive engagement and viewership to increase Paley’s social media followers /audience.
- Participate in other projects as assigned.
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
- Highly organized with a proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage simultaneously.
- Outstanding verbal communication and superior business writing skills.
- Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative, and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving and research skills.
- 10+ years of producing live productions within entertainment, sports, and other media
- Experience producing exhibits or other special events, a plus
- 3+ years of project and budget management experience, in a supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of proper standards in the handling of museum collections
- Knowledge of pertinent legal requirements, such as provided by OSHA and the ADA
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Production, Media, or related field
- Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
- Completed covid vaccination
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.