The Director of Public Programming & Festivals coordinates and ensures the successful implementation of Public Programs & Festivals that will continue to elevate and position The Paley Center for Media. The Director of Public Programming & Festivals shapes, frames, books, confirms, implements as well as facilitates the financial success of PaleyFestLA, PaleyFest Fall TV Previews, and PaleyFestNY. The Director of Public Programming & Festivals will ideate, identify, book, and confirm PaleyLives, PaleyFrontRows, and membership events (corresponding Corporate, President’s Circle, Patron, General Members) as well as Exhibits (partner exhibits and spotlights for tentpoles) and career readiness workshops that are entertainment-focused and that have a direct relationship with a network, studio or production company. The Director of Public Programming & Festivals will assist in producing the annual Paley Honors in LA and NY and the Paley Honors Luncheon in NY.
The Director of Public Programming & Festivals will work on strategy as well as book, produce and project manage festivals and programs that celebrate the most noteworthy talent and entertainment shows on television and deliver events that offer a peek behind the creative process and that educate audiences about how series are born, characters are developed and how storylines can have a positive cultural impact. These festivals and programs will drive ticket sales, membership, viewership, and visitor traffic as well as raise awareness of the Paley Center.
The Director of Public Programming & Festivals will assist in delivering a relevant programming agenda for the institution and will constantly monitor the progress of program plans and ensure that timelines, deliverables, and best practices are being adhered to and that programs meet a bi-annual calendar.
- Develop, ideate, project-manage, book, and confirm an exciting, influential, and relevant calendar of programs for PaleyFest LA, PaleyFest Fall TV Previews, and PaleyFest NY. Onsite oversight of PaleyFest programs when in-person in New York.
- Book major shows and A-list talent to participate in PaleyLives and Paley Front Rows, career readiness workshops that are entertainment-based and that have studio and network relationships. Book corresponding President Circle, Patron, and General Membership programs and activities.
- For exhibits, including but not limited to, Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, and Pride Month, book corresponding PaleyLives and PaleyFront Row programs that are entertainment-based. Produce aspects for these exhibits (including programs and spotlights) that need to be coordinated with a network and/or studio.
- Produce and coordinate partner entertainment exhibits that need to be coordinated with a network and/or studio.
- Assist with producing developing, booking, and confirming the annual Paley Honors in LA and NY and the Paley Honors Luncheon in NY. Work with a talent booker, write remarks and manage video components to ensure that an effective, compelling, and entertaining narrative is presented.
- Secure programming lineups 6 months in advance.
- Draft remarks, correspondence, pitch letters, invitations, proposals, thank you letters, etc.
- Create and maintain booking status documents.
- Assist in coordinating a program or festival through being a point of contact for communication internally within the Paley Center and externally with networks, studios, and talent representatives.
- Coordinate across departments to ensure successful production of our programs, which includes all details pre, during, and post-event.
- Serve as a point of contact to the sponsorship and development liaisons for sponsorship as well as for membership events when appropriate.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the networks and studio executives, managers, publicists, and talent as well as top journalists to secure as moderators.
- Coordinate all prep calls for moderators and participants.
- Help to develop appropriate audiences to sell tickets and increase memberships.
- Manage RSVPs, track tickets sales and distribution for PaleyFest LA, PaleyFest Fall Previews, and PaleyFest NY as well as the PaleyLives and PaleyFront Rows the VP of Programming & Festivals produce to ensure that all sponsor and partner obligations, as well as revenue goals, are met.
- Assist in raising specified allotted funds to meet the programming budget.
- Obtain all necessary internal approvals to book events to coordinate schedules and internal calendars (Tech, CS, Development, etc.) and work with the Marketing and Communications/PR departments, particularly on timing of announcements, ticket sales, and publishing dates in order to maximize marketing and promotions.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications/PR departments to create content that will drive engagement and viewership to increase Paley’s social media followers /audience.
- Participate in other projects as assigned.
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
- Highly organized with a proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage simultaneously.
- Outstanding verbal communication and superior business writing skills.
- Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative, and managerial skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving and research skills.
- 10+ years of producing live productions within entertainment, sports, and other media
- Experience producing exhibits or other special events, a plus
- 3+ years of project and budget management experience, in a supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of proper standards in the handling of museum collections
- Knowledge of pertinent legal requirements, such as provided by OSHA and the ADA
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Production, Media, or related field
- Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
- Completed covid vaccination
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.