About The Paley Center for Media
The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of media for the professional community and media-interested public.
Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, an international collection, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Archive – including special African-American, Hispanic, LGBTQ+, Women’s and Music collections – and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org.
Must be bilingual and be fluent in Spanish (speaking, reading and writing).
The Head of Communications & Press Secretary is the department head and will lead the communications and public relations strategy for The Paley Center for Media. They have a passion for storytelling focused on enhancing and building brand reputations with both external and internal stakeholders. The Head of Communications & Press Secretary will continue to drive the reputation for the Paley Center for Media as the leader and innovator in the media industry and creates public awareness that engages audiences. They will primarily be responsible for defining and driving multi-channel communications strategies at the highest value that will generate brand awareness, audience development, donor support and membership, as well as, drive sponsorship opportunities for Paley’s industry, public and educational programming initiatives. The Head of Communications & Press Secretary will be responsible for successfully creating overall visibility and industry buzz for Paley’s high profile initiatives including all public and industry program events, Media Council and Membership events, galas, special events, and exhibits. This individual will be highly proficient at analyzing data, identifying trends and making media strategy recommendations. They will also have oversight of internal communications to ensure optimal company-wide dissemination of materials.
In addition, the Head of Communications & Press Secretary will leverage all Paley’s media assets to create and execute communications campaigns designed to:
• Build awareness of the Paley brand and all Paley programs (virtual and live events, festivals, exhibits, galas, screenings, summit, education, television specials), and sponsorships and activations to generate solid sponsor ROI
• Drive digital viewership, ticket sales to Paley live events, and tune-in for Paley’s televised specials
• Drive membership across all relevant areas and expand the Paley community
• Enhance visitor traffic to public exhibitions at the Paley Centers in New York and Los Angeles
• Develop and drive a multi-channel communications strategy and messaging through all media outlets including top-tier and niche traditional and social media outlets
• Maximize digital exposure with PR optimization on social media and track engagement to make data-driven decisions and syndicate social media content to amplify coverage. Lead enterprise media monitoring, distill data sets to identify trends in the industry and new audiences
• Drive awareness of sponsor programs and initiatives by leveraging all Paley media assets
• In partnership with the CEO, they will develop strong working relationships with the press and editorial boards that provide an avenue to enhance Paley’s impact online and in print, and act as an ambassador for Paley, fielding inquiries and advocating for Paley, as appropriate.
• Organize and prepare the CEO for editorial board meetings, press interviews, etc.
• Evaluate existing and build new key media relationships in entertainment, cultural and industry press that generates awareness and interest through proactive outreach
• Create and disseminate Paley’s corporate communication information as required including new trustee and staff announcements, new initiatives, speech writing for Paley executives and funding projects that garner continued interest in donor, membership, and public support
• Build an internal communication strategy including standardizing internal communication and processes for consistency and efficiency, and providing opportunities to cultivate and support employee engagement and awareness
• Create media and marketing materials such as, press releases and fact sheets, content creation, and website content, as well as communication via social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yahoo, etc.)
• Manage all incoming media requests, take action and follow-through on all relevant issues
• Coordinate with outside creative agencies on development of campaigns and securing PSAs.
• Manage PR Agencies (in NY and LA) to ensure all communications for Paley events and initiatives are strategically planned and executed and that press/media coverage directly benefits Paley as well as the subject of interest
• Direct and manage press and logistics for all Paley events including red carpet, shot lists and photo opportunities
• Monitor industry news to inform the executive team of key trending stories and current events affecting and related to the media industry
• Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by organization and sector, and work with Management to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and solutions to address them
• Assist senior management with external communications, speech writing and lectures
• Promote Paley executives as industry and curatorial experts for media opportunities
Our successful employees meet the following criteria:
• Highly organized with proven ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
• Outstanding leadership skills and ability to lead cross functional teams.
• Ability to take ownership of all tasks and manage simultaneously.
• Outstanding verbal communication and superior business writing skills.
• Positive and professional demeanor with excellent interpersonal, administrative and managerial skills.
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
• Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving and research skills.
• Strategic insight of all variables (internal and external) that support Paley’s continued leadership position as the media industry’s preeminent nonprofit organization
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills Including thorough research ability, influencing skills, and knowledge how to use various media outlets and social media platforms to reach different demographic groups with consistent messaging
• Proven relationships with the press and key media outlets
• Proven capacity to multi-task in fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment with tight deadlines
• Impeccable professional demeanor while working with all constituents and stakeholders
• Excellent judgment and ability to stay composed in high pressure situations
• Extensive experience with social media platforms and social media marketing including search engine marketing, Google Analytics, Google Ad Words
• Highly proficient with data analytics, media analysis and monitoring tools required
• Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with communication technologies
• Ability to work events including nights and weekends and travel as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or relevant field with a minimum of 10 years of progressively more responsible experience in communications or media relations at a PR agency or in-house Corporate Communications department
• Fluency in Spanish required (reading, writing and speaking)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Paley Center for Media maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.
Your application was submitted successfully.